This savory monkey bread is my new favorite breakfast (or anytime) dish. It’s easy and fun to make and even easier to eat!
1) Butter pan with 2 tablespoons softened butter and set aside for later.
2) In a large bowl, mix together milk, water, melted butter, sugar and yeast. Meanwhile, mix flour and salt in standing mixer fitted with dough hook. Turn machine to low and slowly add milk mixture. After dough comes together, increase speed to medium and mix until dough is shiny and smooth, 6 to 7 minutes. If at any point dough is very sticky, add more flour by the tablespoon.
If you don’t have a mixer, just mix the ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a rough ball. Then turn out onto a floured surface and knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball, about 5-6 minutes.
3)Turn dough onto lightly floured counter and knead briefly to form smooth, round ball. Coat large bowl with a drizzle of oil. Place dough in bowl and coat surface of dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until dough doubles in size, about an hour.
4) For the fillings, grate cheese. Set one cup of grated cheese aside and stir the other two cups together with diced scallions.
5) To finish bread, remove the dough from the bowl, and pat into a rough 10-inch square. Sprinkle cheese/scallion mixture on half of the dough and fold it over. Then roll out again to a square. Using a bench scraper or knife, cut dough into tiny 1 inch pieces.
6) Melt butter for dipping and stir with garlic powder, paprika, and pepper.
7) Roll each piece into a rough ball and dip into the melted butter, allowing excess butter to drip back into the bowl. Then layer balls in the Bundt pan. Try to stagger the balls so they form a single thing. Occasionally sprinkle balls with just grated cheese (go light).
8) Cover the Bundt pan tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for another hour until the balls are about 2 inches from the top of the pan (at least an hour).
9) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap the pan and bake until the top is deep brown, about 35-40 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a late and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.