Eggplants charred in the broiler and simmered in a spicy homemade curry sauce. Quite possibly the best vegetarian curry ever!
1) Add the chili peppers, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon stick, and cloves to a large skillet and toast over medium-high heat until they are very fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir regularly.
2) Add those spices to a spice grinder and grind.
3) Combine ground spices with other paste ingredients in a food processor and process until the mixture is in a paste. Set aside for later.
4) Wash eggplant and quarter it longwise. Set on a baking sheet lined with foil and drizzle it lightly with olive oil.
5) Broil eggplant on high for about 10 minutes until it’s very charred around the edges.
6) Slice eggplant into chunks and set aside. Optionally, you can cut off the skin as well.
7) Press tofu between a few paper towels for a few minutes to press out some liquid. Slice the tofu in half longwise.
8) Add tofu to a large skillet with a drizzle of oil over high heat. Sear on both sides for about 4 minutes. Then slice into cubes.
9) In a large pot, add a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat with diced onion. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
10) Add the curry paste to the pan and cook until it’s very fragrant, a few minutes.
11) Add coconut milk and water along with eggplant and tofu. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
12) Serve curry over rice garnished with chopped scallions.