1) To make the dough, add yeast and water to a medium bowl with a pinch of sugar and let sit for 5 minutes until yeast is bubbling. Then stir in salt and flour.
2) Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes until it’s very smooth and elastic, but not too sticky. If it gets sticky, feel free to add a bit more flour.
3) After kneading, place dough in a lightly oiled bowl for 2 hours or until it doubles in size.
4) When ready to make crusties, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grate cheese and mince the pepperoni or salami. Split dough into two even pieces.
5) Roll each piece of dough out on a lightly floured surface until it’s in a large rectangle (maybe 12×16 inches).
6) Brush dough with melted butter and sprinkle with dried oregano, crushed red pepper (opt.), salt and pepper. Sprinkle on half of the cheese and pepperoni.
7) Roll dough into a tight cylinder and use a sharp (serrated is best) knife to cut it into 14-16 even pieces.
8) Places pieces on a baking sheet and repeat with second piece of dough.
9) Bake crusties at 400 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes until they are well-browned and crispy on the edges.
10) Serve while warm with ranch dressing!