Cauliflower Macaroni and CheeseJump to Recipe
This whole week I’m posting five recipes from long ago that are my wife’s favorite recipe requests. These recipes got buried in the archives so I’m taking this week to bring them back to life!
If you haven’t tried the cheese sauce that I made for the Mr. Crunchy recipe, this Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese is yet another reason to master the Roux, milk, cheese sauce. It makes an absolutely perfect baked macaroni and cheese. In fact you can even use the exact same cheeses that I used in the sandwich. (Yea leftovers!)
Rich and creamy homemade cheese sauce mixed with pasta and tomatoes and then baked to perfection! Delicious!
Other stuff you need
1) Boil your cut up cauliflower in a large pot of salted water for 3 minutes, until tender but still crisp. Pull out your cauliflower, but keep the water to make the pasta in!
2) Melt 2 TBSP. butter in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté cauliflower for five minutes. Add tomatoes and onions. Cook for a few minutes just to combine all the yummy flavors.
3) In a separate pan, make your Roux by melting 2 TBSP. butter and whisking in 2 TBSP. flour. Cook for a few minutes and then slowly add in your cream and milk. The mixture will thicken pretty quickly.
4) Add your cheese slowly until it is all melted, then sour cream or creme fraiche, 1/2 of your Parm, and mustard. Season with Salt and pepper and remove from heat once it is thick and cheesy and awesome.
5) Cook your pasta in the cauliflower water. Drain the water.
6) Add your cauliflower mixture to the pasta and pour sauce over it. Combine well.
7) Pour into a buttered 13X9 baking dish.
8 ) Top with breadcrumbs and the rest of your Parm.
9) Bake at 350 for 40 minutes until golden brown.
Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
The recipe I used for this Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese dish was from a Bon Appétit which means that it has a lot of ingredients. Sometimes BA tries to slam as many ingredients into a dish as possible. Meanwhile, there I am at the store pulling my hair out.
Things like: This recipe originally called for “heirloom tomatoes.” While I love those things, they are expensive and you put so much cheese and other stuff in this dish, why would you need those?
I just mixed in a can of diced tomatoes with my sauteed cauliflower and onions.
To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a medium pot and then whisk in the flour. Cook it for a few minutes over medium heat until it’s lightly browned.
Then slowly whisk in the cream and milk until it is thickened nicely. Then stir in all your cheese along with the sour cream (or creme fraiche) and season it with a bit of mustard, and some salt and pepper.
Mix this sauce with your macaroni and cauliflower mixture and you’re all set.
Scoop this mixture into a buttered baking dish and top it with some breadcrumbs and extra Parmesan cheese.
Then bake it at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes until it’s nicely browned on top.
It will be incredibly hard, but let this cool before you jump in. This dish is not the easiest that I’ve made on this site, but if you take things one piece at a time, it is very doable.
Betsy is constantly requesting this Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese so I thought it would be the perfect way to kick off a week of her favorites!