A great classic savory cornbread, based on an old family recipe, that’s cooked in a cast iron skillet. This cornbread is delicious!
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together well. Whisk together buttermilk and eggs in a smaller bowl.
2) Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir together.
3) In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil until almost smoking. Pour oil into cornbread batter and stir together.
4) If batter is really stiff, add a bit more buttermilk until it is like a thick pancake batter. Pour batter into oiled and hot cast iron skillet.
5) Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
6) Let cool for a minute, cut, and serve!