Delicious homemade breadsticks flavored with savory garlic butter cooked in a cast iron skillet! A perfect side to almost any meal!
1) Combine yeast, salt, sugar, water, and oil in a large mixing bowl for a stand mixer (or just a large bowl if you are making them by hand). Stir and let sit for a few minutes until yeast starts to foam.
2) Add in 4 tablespoons melted butter, flour, and cornmeal. With the dough hook attachment, mix dough for 5-6 minutes on medium speed. It should be a soft dough, but not sticky. If it is sticking to the bowl, add a bit more flour. If it is dry and crumbly, then add more water. If you are kneading by hand, stir together ingredients until they form a ball, then turn the ball out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is soft, about 10 minutes by hand.
3) Add dough ball to a oiled bowl and rotate to coat lightly in oil. Let rise until it doubles in size, about an hour.
4) Scoop out dough ball, punch it down, and roll it out into a large circle, 14-16 inches in diameter.
5) In a separate bowl, mash together softened butter and minced garlic clove.
6) Spread garlic butter mixture in a light layer all over the rolled out dough.
7) Roll dough tightly into a cylinder. Dive in two equal pieces. Fold each piece over itself into thirds (fold the right third over the center, then fold the left third on top). Form into a ball. This process will create lots of layers of butter and dough.
8) Wrap each of the two laminated dough balls in plastic and freeze if you aren’t going to bake in the next day or two, otherwise store in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
9) When you’re ready to bake, remove one dough ball from fridge and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then roll it out into a 10 inch circle.
10) Place dough into a lightly buttered or oiled cast iron skillet.
11) Slice dough down the center and then into 1/2 inch sticks. Don’t cut all the way through the dough. Just mark the sticks basically.
12) Brush dough with melted butter, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and cornmeal.
13) Bake sticks at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly when they come out.
Serve as is or with melted butter or marinara sauce.