1) Cube steak into 1/4-inch cubes and season well with all-purpose spice rub. Prep other ingredients also by chopping peppers and onions, peeling garlic, and quartering potatoes.
2) In a large cast iron skillet heat about an inch of water until it’s simmering and add potatoes. Simmer potatoes for 6-8 minutes until they are tender, but not falling apart.
3) Pour water out of skillet and wipe it down to dry it off. Add a drizzle of oil to skillet over medium heat. Add steak and cook for 4-5 minutes until steak is browned and cooked through.
4) Add peppers, onions, jalapeños, and garlic and cook together for a minute or two.
5) Push the steak and peppers to the outer parts of the skillet and add another drizzle of oil to the center of the skillet. Add blanched potatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes until they are crisped up on the outside. Season skillet with salt and pepper.
6) In a separate skillet, cook eggs in a little butter or oil until they are over-easy (or sunny side up or poached).
Serve carne asada skillet with fresh chives and egg.