Caramelized butternut squash with crispy sage, shallot, garlic, and a touch of cheese is the perfect fall pasta dish. Quick to make and delicious flavors!
3-4 cups cubed butternut squash
12-15 sage leaves
3-4 tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
12 ounces Trottole or other pasta
Reserved pasta water
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
8 oz. mini mozzarella balls
Salt and pepper
- Peel butternut squash, halve it, and remove seeds. Then cube into about 1/2-inch cubes. You need 3-4 cups for this recipe which is about 1 small butternut squash.
- In a large skillet over low heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add sage leaves and fry for 15-20 seconds until they start to crisp up. Then remove and let drain on a few paper towels.
- Turn heat up to medium. Add butternut squash cubes to the skillet with a sprinkle of salt. Let cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they take on some color and soften.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package, being careful not to overcook it. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta water before you drain pasta.
- Add shallot and garlic to the butternut squash in the skillet and turn heat down to low. Cook for 1-2 minutes so the veggies can soften, but they shouldn’t brown.
- Add pasta to the skillet. Add Parmesan cheese, walnuts, and pasta water and toss well to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve pasta while warm with mini mozzarella balls (optional) and crispy sage leaves.