A perfectly flaky buttermilk biscuit is a delicious replacement for toasted bread in this breakfast version of the classic BLT.
1) For bacon, lay out bacon on a baking sheet preferably with a wire rack. Season with black pepper. Bake bacon at 350-375 degrees F. for 18-20 minutes until the bacon is very crispy. Let cool.
2) For biscuits, stir together dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Cube cold butter and cut into the dry ingredients using a butter cutter, a fork, or just your hands. You want the butter to be in pea-sized chunks.
3) Stir in buttermilk until dough is in loose pieces. Turn it out onto a lightly floured clean surface and form it into a rough rectangle. It should be about an inch thick. Try not to over-work the dough.
4) Cut six large square-shaped biscuits out of the dough and transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the biscuits with a little extra buttermilk.
5) Bake biscuits at 425 degrees F. for 16-18 minutes until they are lightly browned and flakey.
6) Let biscuits cool for five minutes.
7) To make a sandwich, split open a biscuit. Spread on some mayo (optional). Add bacon to the bottom of the biscuit and top with a few tomato slices. Season with a pinch of coarse salt. Top with a mound of lettuce. Serve immediately!