A simple soup with lots of roasted broccoli and parmesan cheese. The best thing about this soup is that it freezes wonderfully!
1) Wash broccoli well and cut it into florets. Also, peel stems and chop them into 1 inch pieces.
2) Lay broccoli out on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with kosher salt. Bake broccoli at 350 for 15-20 minutes until the broccoli is a deep green, slightly soft, and charred around the edges.
3) Meanwhile, dice potato and leek. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add leek and cook for a few minutes until soft. Add potato and liquids (stock and water). Bring to a simmer, add Parmesan rind, and simmer covered for about 10 minutes.
4) When broccoli is done roasting, add to pot and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
5) Blend soup with a blender until smooth. The rinds should basically melt into the soup, but if there are any pieces remaining, remove them.
6) Season soup with salt and pepper and stir in parmesan cheese.
7) Serve soup with crusty bread and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
8) To freeze, let soup cool to roughly room temperature, then pour into a freezer safe dish and freeze until frozen solid. At this point, I like remove the soup from the dish by running the outside under warm water and the whole block of soup will come out. Then you can store the soup block in a freezer bag.
9) Reheat the soup on the stovetop with a 1/2 cup of water over medium-low heat.