A delicious baked apple dish with a crunchy french toast crust!
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all of your wet ingredients for the French toast in a large bowl. Add the cinnamon and salt and mix really well.
2) Peel apples, cut out the core, and slice into eighths much like an apple pie. Sprinkle apples with dash of lemon juice and tossing the apples in it. It will prevent browning and it doesn’t noticeably change the flavor in the end result.
3) Add butter and sugar to cast iron skillet and let it start to simmer on medium. Watch this closely. You don’t want the caramel to burn. It will start to bubble and then stir it for a few minutes and let it thicken and brown a bit.
4) Once all the sugar is well dissolved and it is browning, take it off the heat and sprinkle on your cranberries, walnuts, and cinnamon.
5) Then take all your apples that are sliced and arrange them decoratively in the pan. The important part is to have a flat surface to lay your French toast crust.
6) Then take whatever bread you are using and dunk it in the French toast mixture. Let it soak up a good amount of juice on both sides.
7) Layer bread on apples with slightly overlapping edges.
8) Bake dish for 55 to 60 minutes at 350. You want your toast browned and crispy and your apples soft.
9) Remove dish and let cool slightly. Then carefully flip pan over onto a clean cutting board, baking sheet, or large plate.
10) Slice this with a knife or pizza cutter and serve it up like pie. The caramel sauce almost acts as a syrup and the apples provide a bit of tang.