1) Get the butter really cold and then cube it into 1/2 inch cubes.
2) Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then cut in the butter. If you have a food processor, by all means use that. If you don’t you can use a fork or even your fingers. You want your butter in pea-sized pieces.
3) Pour in the buttermilk and mix it until the dough comes together.
4) Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out into about an 9 inch by 6 inch rectangle and then slice it into 12 fairly even biscuits.
5) Put the biscuits onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with an inch or so of separation. Brush the tops of them with some cream and give them a healthy topping of freshly ground pepper!
6) Bake these biscuits at 400 degrees for about 18 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean from the center and the biscuits should be lightly golden brown.
7) Let them cool for a few minutes before digging in.