A slow simmered black eyed peas curry for New Years Day. A hearty and delicious dish served with rice or na’an and it’ll give you good luck (so they say)!
1) Cook your black eyed peas using your favorite method. I like to soak mine overnight in cold water and then simmer them gently in fresh water until they are tender (45-50 minutes of simmering). If you need a shorter method, you can quick soak the black eyed peas in boiling water for 20 minutes, then drain and simmer them until tender.
2) Meanwhile, in a large pot, add butter over medium heat with onions. Cook until onions soften, 4-5 minutes.
3) Add curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and chili powder and stir together. Add rice flour and stir to combine.
4) Stir in tamarind paste, diced tomatoes (with juice) and coconut milk. Stir to combine and bring curry to a simmer.
5) Stir in cooked black eyed peas and season the curry with salt, pepper, and chopped cilantro. Keep warm.
Serve warm curry over rice and/or with fresh na’an bread. Garnish with fresh cilantro.