Mini biscuits and berries with homemade mini buttermilk biscuits with a crispy sugar topper and a light seasonal berry mix. Plus, whipped cream of course.
Fresh Whipped Cream:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
2) Cut cold butter into cubes and add it to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or just your clean fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it’s in pea-sized pieces. If you’re using your fingers, rub the butter between two fingers to really work it into the flour.
3) When butter is distributed in the flour, add buttermilk and stir to combine ingredients. Try not to over-work the dough. Some dry spots are okay.
4) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and work it into a slab about 1/3-1/2 inch thick. Fold it over itself a few times and press it out again. Use a 1 1/2-2 inch round cutter to punch out the biscuits. You should be able to get about 2 dozen if you reshape the dough once or twice.
5) Place punched biscuits on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush the biscuits with a simple egg wash and dust them heavily with coarse sugar.
6) Bake biscuits at 425 degrees for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans once halfway through. The finished biscuits should be puffed up and golden brown. Remove and let cool.
Rinse berries well and stir together with other ingredients. Use a spoon to lightly mash some of the berries into the bowl. Let sit for a few minutes while biscuits bake.
For whipped cream:
Whisk together cream, sugar, and vanilla until the cream holds soft peaks. Don’t over whisk it or it might turn to butter!
Assemble the biscuits by peeling apart the biscuits, adding a good spoonful of cream, and a few berries. Eat it with a fork or like a sandwich!