Roasted beets hollowed out and stuffed with Gruyere cheese and blanched beet greens. An awesome appetizer!
1) Cut beets off stems. Cut roots off beets and sit them on a baking sheet.
2) Bake beets at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Let cool before peeling.
3) For filling, cut greens off stems and cut out any large ribs from greens. Wash well under cold water.
4) Blanch greens in simmering salted water (1 Tablespoon of kosher salt per gallon of water). Cook for 20 seconds.
5) Remove greens and dunk in cold ice water immediately.
6) Remove greens once chilled and dry off with a paper towel. Then chop up greens.
7) Add chopped greens to grated cheese and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
8) Once beets are cool peel them with a paring knife and make a large well in the center of the beets.
9) Stuff beets with filling. You probably won’t use all of it, but save the leftovers for quesadillas.
10) Bake beets for another 10 minutes to melt cheese. Serve immediately!