Mushrooms sauteed and baked in a creamy and rich custard. Perfect with a big slice of crusty bread!
1) Gently rinse mushrooms and slice them. Also dice your shallot.
2) Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add shallot. Cook until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they are soft and they lose some of their moisture.
3) Pour in dairy. I used all cream. Also toss in a few thyme sprigs. Add back to heat and continue to cook until dairy is steaming. Stir for a few more minutes, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.
4) In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, yolks, cayenne, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
5) Slowly whisk in cream mixture into egg mixture (don’t pour egg mixture into cream mixture). Pour slowly and whisk whisk whisk.
6) Once combined, pour custard mixture into ramekins.
7) Add ramekins to a large baking dish and pour boiling water around the ramekins. The water should come half-way up the dishes.
8) Bake at 300 degrees until custard is lightly set. This will probably be between 30-45 minutes. It’ll take longer if you baked it in a large dish or if you are using milk instead of cream.
9) Serve warm with crusty bread!