Ditch the flimsy bread and try making french toast with bagels. Topped with vanilla whipped cream cheese. It will change you.
Whipped Cream Cheese:
1) To make whipped cream cheese, combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat on medium-low speed with a hand mixer until the mixture is one consistency. It should be light and fluffy and will work best if you start with softened cream cheese. Store in the fridge until needed.
2) In a wide, shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
3) Cut bagels in half and let them soak in the custard mixture for about 30 seconds. Then flip them and let them soak for another 15-30 seconds.
4) Remove bagels from the mixture and let them sit for a few minutes so the custard can really absorb into the bagels.
5) In a large nonstick skillet or griddle, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted and bubbly, add bagels, cut-side down (you might have to do this in batches). Cook bagels for 4-5 minutes on the cut side and then flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes on the second side. They should be browned nicely on both sides and cooked through.
6) Serve bagel french toast immediately with a big schmear of whipped cream cheese, maple syrup, and strawberries on the side.