A slightly savory twist on dessert. Apples stuffed with brown sugar and spices and baked wrapped with bacon. HINT: Serve it with ice cream. YUP.
2 baking apples (Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Gala work well)
4 strips bacon
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl mash together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut apples in half through the core. Use a paring knife to hollow out the center of each apple half, leaving the stem intact.
- Stuff each apple half full with the butter mixture.
- Wrap each apple tightly with bacon and move it to a baking sheet lined with foil. Secure the bacon under the apple so it stays in place as it bakes.
- Bake apples for about 20 minutes until they are fork tender and the bacon is crispy in parts. It probably won’t be crispy all over just due to the liquid in the apples.
- Remove apples and let cool for a few minutes.
- Cut apples in half and serve with ice cream!