The key to this simple bacon spinach omelette is to use fresh spinach and wilt it down in the bacon grease. So good! Don’t forget the cheddar cheese, obviously!
3 strips bacon, chopped
1 cup fresh spinach (2 oz.)
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes, garnish
- In a small skillet, add chopped bacon over medium-low heat. Cook until bacon is crispy and browned, probably 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse spinach well and when bacon is crispy, move it to one side of the skillet and add spinach. Cook spinach in the bacon grease until it’s wilted, maybe 1-2 minutes. Then stir together bacon and wilted spinach. Remove mixture from the skillet.
- Whisk two eggs together and add to the skillet over medium heat. Ideally, you should have some bacon grease to cook the eggs in, but if the skillet is dry, add a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Cook eggs for 2 minutes, using a spatula to gently push the cooked eggs to the center, tilting the pan, and allowing uncooked eggs to flow to the outer edges of the skillet.
- When the eggs are mostly cooked and there is a very thin layer of uncooked egg on the top, add half of the bacon spinach mixture to half of the eggs along with a handful of cheddar cheese. Fold the eggs over the top to make a half-circle omelet.
- Cook the omelette for 30 seconds and then flip the omelette to the other side. Cook for another 30 seconds or so which should melt the cheese and finish cooking the eggs.
NOTE: If you want your eggs completely cooked, the best way to achieve that is to actually flip the omelette before you add the filling so both sides are 100% cooked. Personally, I’m okay with a thin layer of under-cooked egg, but it’s personal preference.
- When omelet is to your liking, slide it onto a plate and garnish with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately!
This delicious recipe was brought to you by Macheesmo. Read the full post at https://wp.me/pkSYO-gE2.