Bacon Cornbread baked with a touch of bacon grease for extra flavor. The perfect brunch side item!
1) For best results combine buttermilk and cornmeal the night before and let it rest in the fridge. Combine them at least 30 minutes before you bake though.
2) To start, fry bacon slowly in a pan so fat renders out nicely. This should take 10-15 minutes for the fat to render out and the bacon to get very crispy. Reserve some of the bacon grease for later.
3) In a small bowl, microwave the honey and butter on high in 15 second bursts until the two are combined and butter is melted.
4) Stir that mixture into the cornmeal and buttermilk. Then add eggs and combine well.
5) In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugars, and salt. Then stir the wet ingredients and combine well.
5) Stir in corn. If you use frozen corn, thaw and drain it first.
6) Preheat your oven in a 350 degree oven. Heat a large cast iron skillet over low heat until pan is hot. Then add two tablespoons bacon grease. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can also use a 9×13 baking pan.
7) Pour your batter into the hot skillet and sprinkle it with crumbled bacon.
8) Bake it for 30 – 35 minutes and you are all set. Be sure to let it cool for a few minutes before you chow down.
Serve with extra honey!