This is a dense and sweet pound cake that has a wonderful flavor and texture thanks to lots of ripe avocado. It’s absolutely delicious!
NOTE: If you don’t have two 9×5 loaf pans, half this recipe. The batter needs to be baked immediately after mixing so you can’t hold it and bake a second cake after the first has baked.
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour your 9×5 pans.
2) Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) cream together the sugar and butter.
4) Once butter and sugar are a soft consistency, mix in the mashed avocado.
5) Then add one egg at a time, mixing between each egg. Also mix in vanilla.
6) Add half of the dry ingredients to the bowl followed by the buttermilk. Then finish the batter with the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, but try not to overmix the batter.
7) Divide the batter between two loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Rotate pans and bake for another 20-25 minutes until a tester comes out clean from the center of the cakes.
8) Remove cakes and let them cool for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the outside of the cake and remove it. Let it cool for another 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.