For coating the cookies:
1) Mix shortening and sugar together with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer. Cream the sugar into the shortening until it’s combined well and is a light consistency. Then add your eggs, one at a time.
2) Add all dry ingredients to the batter and mix together lightly.
3) Chill batter for at least 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
4) In a large plastic bag, combine cinnamon and sugar topping and shake it together good to combine. Then take about a Tablespoon amount of cookie dough and roll it into a ball between your hands. Drop 3 or 4 of these into your plastic bag and give it a good shake to evenly coat the balls.
5) Lay 6 – 8 balls out on an ungreased baking sheet.
6) Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
7) After a minute or two out of the oven, transfer each cookie to a wire rack to cool completely (approximately 15 minutes).