A simple cacio e pepe spaghetti topped with roasted bacon asparagus bundles. Yum!
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Wash your asparagus well and trim off about two inches from each end. Wrap 4-5 spears with a single strip of bacon. Try to get it as tight as possible so it stays together in a bundle. Place each bundle on a baking sheet with the ends of the bacon under the spears so it doesn’t come unwrapped.
2) Bake asparagus bundles for 20-25 minutes until the bacon is cooked through and turning crispy and the asparagus are cooked well.
3) Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in salted water (1 tablespoon kosher salt per two quarts of water).
4) To make simple sauce for spaghetti, add olive oil, butter, and black pepper to a large skillet over low heat. Swirl together until butter is melted. Add pasta water from and swirl to combine.
5) When pasta is done, use tongs to move it straight from the cooking water to the skillet and toss to combine. Add parmesan cheese and continue to toss with tongs. The sauce should thicken a bit and just stick to the spaghetti. If it’s too watery, let it cook over low heat in the skillet for 30-60 seconds, tossing constantly. If the sauce is too thick and gummy, add more pasta water by the 1/4 cup to thin it slightly.
6) Serve pasta piled high on plates and top with a few asparagus bundles and fresh basil.