This easy braised bratwurst and cabbage dish uses apple cider which gives everything a beautiful sweetness and flavor of fall.
1 tablespoon butter
1 white onion, sliced
1 pepper, sliced
1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
1 1/2 pounds bratwurst (5-6 sausages)
2 cups apple cider
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large cast iron skillet (at least 12 inches) add olive oil over medium heat along with sliced onions, peppers, and cabbage. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until the veggies are wilted.
- When the vegetables have reduced down by about half and are softened, nestle the bratwurst in the mixture and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Pour in 2 cups apple cider and bring to a simmer on the stovetop.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and cook in the oven, covered, for 30 minutes, then remove the cover to cook off some of the liquid and keep cooking in the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- The dish is done when the bratwurst is cooked through and may even be browned in spots on top and the cabbage is browned and very tender. Season dish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the braised bratwurst and cabbage with a starch of your choice, good bread works or a potato of some sort works as well.