Homemade dulce de leche sandwiched between butter cookies. I don’t think I need to say how good these were.
Dulce de Leche (Recipe from Chez Pim)
Butter Cookies (Recipe from Baking Bites)
1) If you’re making the dulce de leche, just add milk, sugar, and salt in pot and put over medium heat. Whisk until mixture starts to simmer. TUrn heat down to low and let simmer slowly for 3-5 hours until dulce de leche reaches the consistency you want.
2) Once the mixture reaches the consistency you’re looking for, take it off the heat and skim off any hard skin that’s formed on top. Then whisk the mixture until it’s smooth. I also recommend straining it through a fine strainer to remove any bits.
3) Let cool to room temperature and then store in the fridge for a few weeks (if it will last that long).
4) For the cookies, cream together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl using either a stand mixer or with a hand mixer for a few minute suntil the mixture is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
5) Add egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
6) Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Try not to over mix.
7) Form small balls with dough and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet. You should be able to fit 20 cookies per baking sheet. They don’t really expand as they cook.
8) Flatten the cookies slightly so you can make a sandwich out of them.
9) Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
10) Sandwich some dulce de leche between the cookies and eat! You can also just dunk them in the dulce de leche!