A new twist on meat and potatoes with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, peppercorn hanger steak, and a yummy beet salad.
Serves 4-6 (leftovers are not a bad thing)
Serves 2 (plus some leftovers)
1) For beet salad, cut tops off of beets and set them on a baking sheet. Roast at 350 degrees for about an hour until a knife easily pierces them.
2) Let beets cool slightly and then peel and slice.
3) Mix together dressing ingredients and right before serving, toss greens with dressing. Then plate up each salad.
4) For potatoes, roast a head of garlic. Cut off the top and drizzle in some olive oil and a pinch of salt. Wrap the whole thing in foil and roast at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
5) Cube potatoes and boil in salted water for 10-15 minutes until they are fork tender. Drain and mash with other ingredients.
6) For steak, let it come to room temperature before cooking. Rub each side well with salt and pepper.
7) Sear steak for a about 3 minutes per side.
8) Let the steak rest for five minutes and then slice across the grain.
9) For steak sauce, gently crush pink peppercorns. Add wine to the pan that your steak cooked in and scrape up any little bits. Turn heat to low. Add shallot and peppercorns. Add butter to make it silky smooth.
10) Serve steak and potatoes with sauce.