This hearty, flavorful soup recipe is incredible when you want a quick and easy dinner on a chilly night. The potatoes, bacon and corn provide the traditional chowder flavors, with healthy salmon to switch it from a traditional clam or corn chowder.
Recipe adapted from a Serious Eats recipe.
8 oz. bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons water
3-4 medium shallots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup clam juice
3 cups whole milk
1 pound new potatoes, diced
1 cup sweet corn
1 pound salmon, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
Oyster crackers, garnish
- In a sturdy pot over medium heat, add chopped bacon and water. Water will help fat render out of bacon. Cook until bacon is crispy, 6-7 minutes.
- When bacon is browned, drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and add chopped shallots and celery. Cook for a few minutes and then stir in all-purpose flour.
- After flour, slowly stir in clam juice and milk. Add potatoes and bring to a simmer. Turn heat down to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Prep your salmon by removing any pin bones from the fish and also cutting off skin. Cut salmon into about 1/2-inch chunks.
- When potatoes are cooked through, add corn and salmon to the chowder. Cook for 2-3 minutes until salmon is just cooked through. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chowder immediately with fresh lemon and oyster crackers.