Have you ever stayed up all night drinking awesome sangria and playing Risk: The Game of Global Domination? I have and let me tell you that it is completely awesome and not dorky at all.
I confirmed a few things last Saturday night:
1) Never, ever start a land war in Asia. You will LOSE THE GAME.
2) Sangria is really good. Especially white sangria in the summer.
3) The sangria recipe below is not intended for two people unless you don’t mind being bedridden the next day.
The thing I don’t like about some white sangrias is that they end up being really sweet. If you look up other recipes, a fair number of them have simple syrup in them which I don’t really like to add to mine. I think it makes it too sweet and less boozy and who wants that?
So let’s make some the real way.
1) Peel the peach and apple.
2) Chop fruit into about 1/4 inch cubes.
3) Mix peach brandy and citron vodka together. If you want your fruit to be really tasty though, mix your vodka and peach brandy with your fruit and let that sit for about 30 minutes. You could let it sit for an hour or two though without a problem.
4) Mix fruit mixture, white wine, and orange juice in a large pitcher.
5) In each glass add a few ice cubes, pour in some of sangria mixture and then top with a splash of club soda or sparkling water.
Prepping the fruit
There’s a lot of fruit in this recipe. I like to pretend that I’m being healthy while getting drunk. I think you should do the same.
I peeled the peach and apple just because the skin on those can be kind of cumbersome. I got a bit lucky with my apple peelings. I couldn’t replicate this if you paid me:
For this recipe, chop your fruit into about 1/4 inch cubes. For the record, you don’t need to use all the fruit I used. I just really like to eat the fruit when it is all booze filled. Call me crazy but I find it delicious.
If you do you all the fruit that I did, you’ll end up with a bowl like this.
So some sangria recipes call for simple syrup which is basically sugar and water. For this recipe I substituted that for peach brandy which is sweet enough but has peach flavor and alcohol. Basically it’s an all around win.
Instead of adding lemon or lime juice, I added some citron vodka which gives the sangria a necessary bite.
Now it would be fine to mix all these things together and let them mingle for an hour or two. If you want your fruit to be really tasty though, mix your vodka and peach brandy with your fruit and let that sit for about 30 minutes. You could let it sit for an hour or two though without a problem.
After that, basically just mix your fruit mixture, your white wine, and orange juice in a large picture.
In each glass add a few ice cubes, pour in some of your sangria mixture and then top with a splash of club soda or sparkling water.
Whatever you do, don’t drink this (and eat all the fruit) between two people. It’s seriously a bad idea.
In all reality though, this is an amazing sangria recipe. I highly recommend it.
Feel free to substitute liberally for fruit additions and white wine varieties.
If you have some good suggestions, leave a comment!