Weeknight Butter Chicken
This post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes, Inc. Check out their full line of products including the Land O Lakes® Butter I used for this recipe. Be sure to follow them on Facebook and Twitter for more great recipes.
If there’s been one unwavering truth about parenthood, it’s that my weeknights have gotten approximately 4,000% more hectic. By the time we are all home, we are all hungry and anything I can do to speed up the dinner process is usually a plus.
That said, I still enjoy the idea of having an actual dinner, not just consuming food for survival. I like sitting down and at least trying to catch up with my wife and watch our nearly 18-month old dude figure out the world. Some nights are better than others, obviously, but in general I look forward to the chaos.
One thing that can really take the load off of dinner is a recipe where you can prep most of it in advance! Enter this delicious Weeknight Butter Chicken dish. This classic Indian dish is something that normally simmers for hours, but with a few tweaks, it is totally doable on a weeknight, even in a hectic house!
1) In advance, slice chicken into thin strips. Stir together with Greek yogurt, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Cover and store in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
2) To make sauce, add 4 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter to a medium pot over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add onions, ginger, and garlic and cook until veggies soften, 3-4 minutes.
3) Add tomato paste and stock to pot and stir to combine. Add prepared chicken strips along with any sauce in the bowl. Bring pot to a low simmer. Simmer mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test chicken for doneness.
4) Add cream to pot along with final 4 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter. Allow sauce to thicken for a few minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
5) Serve butter chicken over rice garnished with fresh cilantro.
Weeknight Butter Chicken
The nice part about this recipe is that you can prep the chicken in advance which makes for an easier dinner the night you want to make it.
Start by slicing the chicken into thin strips and stirring the chicken together with Greek yogurt and all the spices. Doing this in advance will also give the chicken a chance to marinate in the spices, making it even more flavorful!
You can make that up to 24 hours in advance without any issue. It’ll trim 10-15 minutes off the total time for this recipe by doing that in advance!
When you’re ready to make the dish, add 1/4 cup of Land O Lakes® Butter to a medium pot over medium heat. Add a chopped onion along with fresh ginger and garlic. The fresh aromatics are a little extra prep, but they add a lot of flavor to the dish!
Let those things cook together until the veggies soften, just 3-4 minutes should do the trick. You don’t want them to brown really.
Then add the tomato paste and stock to the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
Add in the prepared chicken along with any marinade in the bowl, which has tons of flavor!
Stir that together and bring the mixture to a low simmer. Let the mixture simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring it occasionally to make sure it isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pot.
After that simmer, the chicken should be cooked! I always recommend taking out a bigger piece and testing it, but assuming you sliced your chicken thin, it should be done with about 10 minutes of simmering.
After the chicken is done, finish the dish by stirring in the cream and last knob of butter. That will really add some nice richness to the dish and make it extra creamy and delicious!
Season the butter chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper and it’s ready to go!
Serve the chicken with lots of sauce over rice and garnish the whole thing with fresh cilantro!
A bonus feature of this recipe for the parents out there is that it’s a great way to introduce a little one to lots of new flavors but it isn’t a spicy recipe. My little dude absolutely loved the sauce and ate two full baby plates of this!